Saturday 5 September 2015

My day without the R-word: a theoretical scenario



The paragraphs below started life as two Facebook statuses. Longer than most fb statuses, but shorter than all but one of my blog posts. Even combined.
The first comments below started life as an idea for a blog post. Which I was planning to develop. And you know for how long I can go on.
So, by using the Facebook status as a blog post, I'll save everybody a lot of time. Mainly you.




My day without the R-word:
Lazily roll out of bed around 8:00. Help sort out the kids and eat breakfast around 8:35, once they’re headed for school. Spend the next eight and a half hours yo-yoing between laptop and kitchen. Eat tea. Put a kid to bed. Sit in front of the sofa. Go to bed. All, typically, without having set foot outside the door. Other than on Tuesdays, when I’d put out the rubbish and take it all the way to the kerb.

And that is one reason I run... because I’d be one mess of a human being if I didn’t! ‘Sedentary’ doesn’t even begin to describe it!
Indeed, not that long ago I was a mess: and this is what got me started along this journey.

I was concerned about pre-race weight-gain with last week’s holiday. And yes, there was beer and yes, there was ice cream. But there were also walks along the beach, up to castles, around parks... nothing major, yet so much more than I would normally do!
Just as well those ten hours (or so) a week keep me sane. Physically and mentally.



(Oh, and over the last two days, I’ve been able to lie in a bit longer, heading out for lunchtime runs (‘runches’) rather than early morning ones. Add to that last week’s holiday evening runs and Monday’s Bank Holiday and I’ve only had to face the dark once recently. But next week will be different!

Not because I’ll be running far and could therefore not wait till lunchtime, because I could. But because, cometh 06:40, it won’t be Sarah Cox’s voice emanating from the bedroom DAB - but Chris Evans’! And I’d much rather sacrifice sleep than have it disrupted by that, let alone ‘enjoy’ an extra hour or so in bed listening to it.

So thank you, Mr Evans, for helping me start my days with a rush of adrenaline and activity. If not necessarily how you’d like. Oh, how our relationship has changed since the days of “TFI”...)

p.s.: that race day is tomorrow. Let’s hope I don’t regret that second ice cream. A tripler. Boy did it taste good! And it was over a week ago… Fingers crossed!





No comments:

Post a Comment