Friday 19 September 2014

Now - where should I be tomorrow?

It’s funny how things pan out sometimes.
There will be three places where it would make perfect sense for me to be tomorrow (a.k.a. Saturday, September 20, 2014). But for a few details, anyway, which I’ll outline in a second. First, I want you to have a shot at guessing what might be happening in those three places.
Here’s a clue: each event taking place is a key component of what defines me. It has probably played a key role in how you and I met – if indeed met we have. So, get your thinking cap on… then scroll.










<c’mon, be a sport – give it a go!>











<OK – last chance…>










Right – let’s go.


Event #1: TOMS RIVER REUNION – “The Musician”, Leicester
In 1999, I made my maiden voyage trip to the US. Some may think it’s a long way to go for two Springsteen concerts – but I suspect there’ll be folk out there who know it makes perfect sense…
…in the end I saw three, courtesy of Hurricane Floyd which caused the postponement of one of the gigs at Philadelphia’s Spectrum. Single and carefree, I (alongside many others) put back my return flight to catch the rescheduled concert as well as the second concert for which we originally had tickets and a third concert now sandwiched in between. Meant I got to see Bruce’s last show before he turned 40 and his first after, which added to the on-stage banter and made for some appreciated setlist selections.  Musically, a fantastic experience, worthy of an entire post in itself. But this one ain’t about the music…
…on that trip I made friendships that have withstood the test of time. Fifteen years and over forty Springsteen shows down the road, I know that I can count on friends first met over a beer or two in some bar in New Jersey, New York or Pennsylvania to be there for me when I need them. Friends with whom I’ll talk Bruce, for sure, but equally religion, football, challenges… in short, life.
Tomorrow, many of those people will meet up in Leicester. Some I’ve seen many a time since; some, alas, never. It would be good to meet up with each and every one of them. And if I could jump in a car I would: for the people and for a gig which will be one of the day’s highlights. No, they’ve not booked Springsteen (not as far as I know, anyway): but they have booked Joe D’Urso and Stone Caravan, whom we discovered on that trip. Having played solo on a bill at the world-renowned Howard Johnson, Toms River for us, Joe returned with full band a few days later to cheer up hundreds of Europeans who’d travelled thousands of miles only for a hurricane to shatter their expectations. And, on both occasions, he did a great job. The sort of job that makes you grab pen and paper and write a note to his dad, who was there with him, along the lines of: “You should be proud of your son”. If you’re a 24-year old like me, anyway.
(OK: if you are me. Which, fortunately for you, you’re not.)
I’ve since been Joe’s Tour Manager and seen him in England, Wales, Scotland, Italy and Norway (!), as well as back in the U.S.A., back in a time when I could afford to fly out there to see a relatively unknown musician, driving down the Jersey Turnpike (my last time at the wheel) with the window down and ‘Thunder Road’ on the radio… Great guy, great band – a bunch of scoundrels, but reliable scoundrels, still playing with Joe over a decade later. Great shame I hardly ever see them these days, although I did get to Cardiff just the oth…
<what? It was nearly two years ago? Yikes!>

Shame. Equally a shame that I so rarely, if ever, see many members of the congregation gathering in Leicester tomorrow, at the church of rock&roll. I’m a bit of a lapsed member these days, much as the faith is unwavering. I just kinda find it hard to get to church that often: but if there is a 2015 Springsteen tour I’ll be there and hopefully see a lot of the people I won’t be seeing tomorrow. And remember, guys: there’s always the chance to sing…

 
Event #2: SWINDON vs SHEFFIELD UNITED – The County Ground, Swindon
As I outlined over two years (really?) ago, I am defined by music, in particular Springsteen’s. Bruce is my moral compass. I am equally defined by Sheffield, its values, the values of its people… and Sheffield United. And on Saturday they’ll be playing in Swindon, just an hour down the road. If I could jump in a car, that is…
…as it happens, by bus, foot and train The County Ground represents a twelve-hour round trip. Least it would once you’ve allowed for watching the match, anyway. And a twelve-hour round trip, especially if I were to take Roberto, just ain’t gonna happen… I know many Blades will do that and then some, this Saturday as they have countless times, but I just… can’t. I say that with a tinge of guilt, but then again it’s just… life.
A shame, but one to which I’m used. One of the prices for my exiled life which hurts the most, not least given I pay it at least once a fortnight between August and May. Don’t ask.

 
Event #3: HIGH PEAK 40 – Buxton and The Peak District
I am defined by music. I am defined by Sheffield. And I am defined by running. And of the hundreds of runs I’ve embarked upon over the past eight hundred and eighty-two days, few have been more defining that last year’s High Peak 40.
HP40 2013 was my first Ultra. It was chuffin’ hilly, it was tough: but I ran it with friends, some of whom I’d only met on Twitter prior to that day and some whom I’d otherwise only met a few months prior at the Greater Manchester Marathon and/or the Sheffield Half. Not that you’d have suspected as such when we gathered round at some ungodly hour: by their standards, anyway – more ‘mid-morning’ in my book). The connection was there: we shared the same fire in our bellies, the same fears, the same goals. Just like those who’ll be gathering in Leicester and in the away end on Saturday. We all got it. Like disciples of the same religion do.


Springsteen… Blades… Ultra… And what will I be up to? What’s keeping me from joining any one of these communities so integral to defining who I am, where I’ve been and where I’m heading?

I’ll be home. Taking it easy, ahead of Sunday’s Bristol Half Marathon – although I do hope to sneak in a steady parkrun at Little Stoke in the morning. And with my family – who also define me, and share the theatre in which I live out my dreams and challenges.
But for the half, I would probably be in the Peak District, given I signed up for it the day registrations opened. Or I might be making more of an effort to get to Leicester, which has also been on the radar for some time. Realistically, less likely I’d be in Swindon, if only because I’ve already got February 14 in the calendar for a romantic encounter with fellow Blades at Ashton Gate, Bristol, BS3. Valentine’s Days don’t come much romantic than that. Not in BS3, trust me.

So yes, on Sunday I’ll head to the start of the Bristol Half with my Twitterblades badge safely on my trusty drawstring, with in my heart Springsteen’s songs and the inspiration and support of my friends who the day before will have completed the High Peak 40 challenge. That and my brothers, as always. A Springsteen-loving, United-supporting running nut can’t ask for much more. Well, other than that blasted sub-90’ time, anyroad.

And you… yes, you, having got to the end of this post with laudable patience…
…if you are heading to Leicester, Buxton or Swindon – have a great time. Better than sub-90’ could ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment