Saturday 5 October 2013

Chester Week: A Diary (Sep 30 - Oct 5)



A different kind of post, this one. Some random thoughts collected in the build-up to Chester. Hopefully more digestible than some of the other warblings I commit to screen on here!

Grumpy. The Grand Pier Half was never meant to be spectacular but the way I felt doesn’t give me confidence for sub-3h30’ in Chester. Go for a run just before 7am and do 3.2mi in 27’00” at 8’24”. How am I meant to manage 26.2 at sub-8’ if I’m just about on eight and a half for three? OK, recovery and all that, but still…
Feeling mardy today. OK, mardier than usual. This is the first race in a long time on which time really matters for me. In fact, it’s never mattered so much: first attempts at any distance were about getting round, I’ve been able to dismiss recent halves as pseudo-training runs… OK, time mattered in Bath, but not as much as this time. Need to ensure I put myself under the right amount of pressure: not too much, not too little. Will follow 3h30’ pacer and hope to keep up with the group till the end, but prepared to step back and make do with sub-3h45’ if need be.
Still, at least I weighed in at 72.5kg this morning – bang on race weight. First time it’s been at that level since the day after the Sheffield Half back in May. It’s probably just the body tricking me, but I’ll take it. Need every trick in the book.

Not sure 3.2mi is enough but have decided not to up the mileage day-on-day this week. You’re not meant to when tapering. So will stick to two back-and-forths along Down Road for the week. 26’20”, 16”/mi faster than yesterday. Nothing spectacular but I guess I’m heading in the right direction.
Having not touched tea or coffee since breakfast yesterday, this is my first full day caffeine-free. Giving it up during pre-race week. Haven’t a clue as to whether it will make any difference, but don’t want to cross the line wondering. Besides, denying myself something I enjoy is a form of painless torture that can’t do much harm. Something else to look forward to come Sunday, alongside cake and beer. Toughen up, Lad!

Decide to go for a runch rather than a morun. Means I can get up leisurely just after Karen and The Boys. Legs appreciate the extra hour or so in bed and I’m well aware that I run better when fully awake. Had Mike worried, though – he e-mailed me at 9:19, panicking because he’d not seen any Strava data!
7’42” – first sub-8’ and sub-25’ of the week. Numbers aside, just felt better. It’s about feel more than numbers over such a distance.
Looks like Fletch may be pacing for 3h30’ on Sunday – that’d be grand! Planning on following the official pacing group but would rather run with a friendly face.
Get my pre-race haircut sorted: almost asked for a one but best stick with a two. It’s worked for thirty-odd years, after all – and I do need to look somewhat presentable… Nip into Tesco for some nuts and granola. Didn’t realise it was a good time to top up on peanut butter: mention my error to Karen and, miraculously, later in the day a jar of peanut butter appears. She’s getting perilously close to actively supporting my running endeavours, rather than passively tolerating them…
Sort out my Chester weekend schedule. Allowing some flexibility over when to eat the various bagels.

Went out around 11am. Felt as smooth as I have done in a while. Tested myself by running free, without checking the watch once. Well, other than when I checked it for distance (covering up the time) late on – wasn’t sure whether or not I had another stretch to go!
Turns out I ran at 7’36”, covering the 3.2 in 24’41”. Amazingly, ‘unmonitored’ splits turned out to be almost identical: . 7’34”, 7’38”, 7’37”, 7’37”. So much for technology, eh?!
Encouraging to be 2’19” under Monday’s effort and 1’39” under Tuesday’s. All the more so for having run naturally and for feeling better at the end of it. Feel, feel, feel.
Today’s worried soul was David’s newspaper companion. I really ought to figure out his name. He shouted across from his front lawn, commenting on the late  nature of my run. Replied with “Running late this week – got a marathon on Sunday” and got a “Good luck” in counter-response. Good to see I’ve been missed by my usual early morning crew.
Spend fifteen minutes or so in a Radox® bath once home. Felt fine but aware of how much better I felt after one last week when legs still hp40’d, so making sure I don’t wait to feel bad to feel good.
In the afternoon, pack my stuff. Other than shoes, toiletries and food, that is. So, even with kit and civvies, I’m really not even halfway.

I’m getting waaay too used to this tapering malarkey!
Out just after 10am, run the usual 3.2 in 24’25”. Blustery today, so splits not quite as even as yesterday but still pretty damn good. Still feeling good and, mentally, all the better for a couple of tweets yesterday…
Firstly, Andrew said: “It would be a pleasure to get you round in 3:30, it's a great target to go for :)”. We’ll see how it goes but it’s a great, magnanimous gesture. I’d certainly far rather give it a shot alongside him (and any other nutters feeling that way inclined) that as part of a pace group – much as that remains an option! May or may not make a huge difference on the day, I don’t know – but it’d be another of those special shared memories we runners thrive on!
I then posted about a hilly trail HM in Bristol (well, outskirts – my side of…) on November 7 I’d just found out about and, within a couple of exchanges, Rich had offered to cycle round to Portishead with two pairs (same type, different size) of New Balance trail shoes! I’m not sure whether my Kalenjis were trail: I do know that a) I ran the HP40 with them and b) they didn’t have much sole left before then… will definitely see what Rich has to offer and how much I can part with! Again, such a selfless offer… OK, he’ll class it as training, but it’s a fair cycle round… then again, this is the looney who ran 26 miles to get to the starting point of the Grand Pier Half Marathon on Sunday!
Feeling upbeat today. All packed, ready to go… still nervous but getting the sense that some things around me are coming together. And the tapering’s helping. Well, I’m withholding judgement on the direct impact on the marathon: but it’s helping to have that extra time in bed, to go running after breakfast and awake. It’s… nice. Almost too nice. It’s going to be hard to don the head torch again next week! Maybe I just need to stretch the recovery to a full week..?

Up at 7, out half an hour later. Leisurely “Police HQ Lap” – it’s hardly Mount Everest (or the Peak District, for that matter), but thought I ought to get in some hillage! That and it’s the route I always run before a race. And maybe a 7:30 run before a 5-hour train journey is daft, not least because a tune-up might be better done on site, later in the day… then again, it probably makes no difference at all.
Ran past Dave and his friend, the one whose name I really ought to find out. As always, they were on their way back from the supermarket for their papers. Dave’s friend shouted out: “Shouldn’t you be resting?”. Kept the response to: “I will be in five minutes!” – easier than “Well, by the time I’ve left home at 10:54 and got to Chester Train Station after four this afternoon, it won’t really make a blind bit of difference whether I’ve rested an extra quarter of an hour or not!”.
10:54 – yup, that’s when it all begins. Here’s my little plan:



Note: Plan doesn’t mention Clif Bars. They’re my wild cards. Oh yes, that’s me – wiiiild!



Hope you’ve got plans for the weekend, too. Ultimately, mine can be summarised as follows:
1. Travel up to Chester
2. Have a cracking meal with mates*
3. Run 26.2mi
4. Come home and have beer with pizza (in that order) and summat sweet with a cuppatea!

That’s been my week building up to Chester Marathon. I’ll be back Monday with The Verdict. But gotta go now. Time is of the essence…

* the food will be average at best for my spoilt tastebuds… as in, ‘spoilt’ by growing up on Nonna’s home cooking, nothing wrong with them! But it’s all about seeing Catherine, John, Philip with Judith and Lucy, Lorna, Adele, Natalie, Mike with Sarah, Rachel with Darren and Simon, who’s kindly sorted out our “pasta party room”. Some familiar faces, some that until now have ‘just’ been avatars on Twitter… but reight looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment